FOR DISCUSSION IN SMALL GROUPS
THE KINGDOM OF GOD: Allegiance
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. (Romans 10:9-13)
- We can enter the Kingdom of God only if we submit to King Jesus and declare Him Lord of our lives. He must have our allegiance and devotion over all other kings and kingdoms.
- How is that difficult today?
- What other kings and kingdoms are trying to pull us from the Kingdom of God?
- Why is it impossible to serve both God and money?
- What other "masters" are we drawn to serving?
- What had Simon and Matthew, as a zealot and a tax collector, given up to follow Jesus?
- Do you identify with a particular political party or ideology (Conservative, Liberal, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Socialist, or other)? If so, are you more loyal to that party/ideology or to Jesus?
- Who do you trust to take care of your family more: political/social solutions or God’s kingdom?
- What makes you more happy: seeing your party gain the presidency or seats in Congress, or knowing King Jesus sits on throne?
- What angers or breaks your heart more: when you see your party lose a debate or on a law, or when you see God’s kingdom not being lived out?
- What allegiance do your social media accounts reflect: allegiance to Jesus or allegiance to earthly "kingdoms" (parties, organizations, or ideologies)?
- How can Jesus's attitude and life help us overcome the divisive issues of today in our lives and in the church?
- What are ways that we can imitate his humility and obedience as other kingdoms are vying for our allegiance?
Practicals from Jordan:
- Pray through your loyalties in this world.
- Write out why you trust Jesus more than them.
- Why did you first make that good confession that “Jesus is Lord”?
- Read a book on Kingdom:
- The Kingdom of God by Jones and Brown
- Escaping the Beast by Burns
- Pray for both party leaders (1 Tim 2:1, Matt 5:43-44).
- When it comes to social media:
- Pause. Pray. Love first. Lift up King Jesus over your opinion. Unite over divide.
- Consider getting off social media/news for a week.