Spanish/Español esta viniendo pronto
For Small Group Discussion/Personal Reflection
"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23)
- Why did Peter react as he did?
- Why did Jesus rebuke Peter so strongly?
- How does power work in God's Kingdom?
- What is the difference between Kingdom power and worldly power?
- Why is self-denial crucial for a disciple of Jesus?
- What are the hardest areas of self-denial in your life?
- Jordan mentioned one of the most radical words in Luke 9 is DAILY. What keeps you from pursuing anything DAILY?
- What can you start or stop doing so you can become a person who is consistent on a daily basis?
- "The cross" was associated with being a revolutionary in this time. Why should we view Jesus as a “revolutionary” leader? In what ways do you consider yourself a revolutionary in this world?
For further study on Self Sacrifice & Self Denial:
- Mark 10:41-45
- John 12:23-26
- Acts 4:32-32; 5:40-42
- Romans 6:1-14
- 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
- Galatians 2:19-21
- Philippians 2:3-8
- Colossians 3:1-13
How are you doing at denying yourself as you follow Jesus? Ask you spouse, roommate, or close friend.
Are you known for your sacrificial love? Ask your spouse, roommate, or close friend.
Practice praying for surrender to the will of God and the lordship of Jesus. Pray to empty yourself and be filled by God's Spirit through the leadership of Jesus.